Julius Caesar BackgroundDownload PDF
Excerpt From This Document
- Fully explain the difference between the following types of governments: a. Monarchy: b.Republic: c. Democracy
- What kind of government did the Roman Empire have under Trarquinius Superbus (great name for ruler, huh?)?
- What form of government did they switch to?
THE ROMAN EMPIRE AND ITS GOVERNMENT
- How far did the Roman Empire stretch at its height? What present day countries were included?
- What are the two classes of people in the Rome Empire?
- What is a triumvirate?
- How did someone get into the Senate? What were the duties of the Senate?
- What was a tribune? How did someone get to be a tribune?
- What was a consul? How many were there? What did they do?
- What similarities are there between the Roman government at Caesar’s time and the current American government?
- What sort of internal problems was Rome having? (i.e., why were the people unhappy?)
JULIUS CAESAR AND SHAKESPEARE
- When was Julius Caesar born and when did he die?
- What is Caesar’s full name?
- What did Julius Caesar do before becoming ruler of Rome?
- What part of the Roman Empire did Caesar conquer?
- When did Shakespeare write Julius Caesar?
- Where did Shakespeare get many of his ideas for his version of Julius Caesar? (name of main book, author and translator, as well other smaller sources.
- Shakespeare squeezes the events of Caesar’s assassination into 6 days. How long did it actually take?
- What is the Festival of Lupercal?
- Do political leaders in the US usually do what they are elected to do: represent the people and act in the best interest of their counties? Give an example to support your answer.
- Is ambition a positive or negative attribute? Explain your answer.
- Are there any circumstances under which it is okay to kill someone? Explain your answer.
- Choose two of the three statements below and explain whether you agree or disagree with them (2 separate answers, please): a. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" b. "Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant taste of death but once." c. "The evil that men do lives after them; the good is [often buried] with their bones."
- Where did you get you information on this worksheet? Write down web addresses, names of books or other sources. You don’t need to have 8 sources; use as many lines as you need.
- With what famous woman was it rumored Caesar was having an affair?
- How old was Caesar when his father died?
- What was Caesar’s father doing when he died?
- Who did Caesar name as his heir in his will? Who would be the heir if that person died?
- Who is suspected to be Brutus’ (one of the men who leads the assassination) father?
- Which of Shakespeare’s play is supposedly cursed?
- What modern tool used to measure time did Julius Caesar modernize and which part of it did he name after himself?
About this Document
A scavenger hunt type activity for students to complete before reading Julius Caesar. Give students historical, political and social background. Also practices research skills.