The Red Candle Questions and Answers
1. According to Chinese thinking, what is the difference between 14-carat and 24-carat gold?
2. Lindo relates a movie plot in which a promise is broken. Describe the plot.
3. What qualities would a Chinese mother expect of her daughter-in-law?
4. Describe Lindo as a child.
5. Why does Lindo move in with the Huangs four years before she marries Tyan-yu?
6. What final gift does Lindo’s mother give her?
7. What are some ways in which Tyan-yu and Huang Taitai are unkind to Lindo?
8. On her wedding day Lindo compares herself to the wind. In what ways does she say they are alike?
9. How is Lindo able to leave her marriage honorably?
10. Lindo claims the ancestors have given signs that her marriage to Tyan-yu should end. What are the three signs?
1. The Chinese accept only 24-carat gold, “pure inside and out,” as real gold. Fourteen-carat gold isn’t gold.
2. In the movie, an American soldier promises to come back and marry a girl he wants to sleep with. She gives in, but he abandons her and later marries another.
3. The mother would expect her daughter-in-law to raise sons, to take care of her husband’s parents when they were old, and to show respect to the family ancestors.
4. As a child, Lindo was physically attractive, healthy and strong, and obedient....
(The entire section is 430 words.)