Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Write a review of the 1963 film of the Island of the Blue Dolphins. How does it differ from the novel?
2. Research the history of the Ghalasat and the true story of The Lost Woman of San Nicolas, on which O'Dell's novel is based. Report on this history and discuss the accuracy of the novel's descriptions of tribal beliefs and customs.
3. Give an imaginary account of the life of Karana after her rescue from the Island of the Blue Dolphins.
4. Report on the history of the Aleuts. Discuss whether or not they are presented realistically by O'Dell. Also, explain why it is reasonable that a Russian is a captain of the Aleuts.
5. Compare Daniel Defoe's Robinson Crusoe, which is also about an individual stranded on an island, to Island of the Blue Dolphins.