Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 111
1. Why do the men who are giving the narrator a scholarship put him through such an ordeal at the club?
2. Why does President Bledsoe give the narrator unfavorable letters of recommendation without telling him about the content? Why does Bledsoe consider the narrator dangerous?
3. Compare the narrator's experience at the white men's club with Norton's at the Golden Day.
4. What is the symbolic significance of the narrator's working in a paint factory?
5. Why does the narrator first adopt, then reject the persona of Rinehart? In what ways does Rinehart restrict his freedom?
6. Why does the narrator first decline to buy a yam from the street vendor, then buy a second one?