1. The narrator opens the book by saying that people refuse to see him. Analyze passages throughout the book that reinforce or refute this.
2. Some critics think there is an underlying Marxist philosophy at work in Invisible Man. Research Marxism and explain any parallels you see in Invisible Man.
3. Read Albert Camus's short novel The Stranger and compare it to Invisible Man.
4. What is the symbolic significance of the narrator's working in a paint factory?
5. Research Ralph Waldo Emerson's philosophy of "transcendentalism" and discuss how it influences the novel.
6. List the various identities or disguises the narrator takes on. What does he learn about his identity from each one?
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support