Books 4 and 5 Questions and Answers
1. Who decides to break the truce between the Trojans and Achaians?
2. How is the truce broken?
3. Who is the main character portrayed in Book Five?
4. What name has been given to this book?
5. Who appears to Diomedes when he is injured by Pandaros?
6. What two things does Athene give to Diomedes?
7. What instruction goes with these gifts?
8. What is the exception to this rule, and why?
9. How is Diomedes like Achilleus?
10. How is he different?
1. The gods decide to break the truce at the urging of Hera and Athene.
2. Athene convinces Pandaros to gain glory by shooting Menelaos, which he does.
3. Diomedes is the main character in Book five.
4. This book has been called the “Diomedia.”
5. Athene appears to Diomedes when he is injured.
6. Athene gives Diomedes strength for the battle and the ability to distinguish gods from men.
7. Diomedes is instructed never to engage a god in battle.
8. Diomedes is allowed to confront Aphrodite, because she has no place on the battlefield.
9. Like Achilleus, Diomedes is favored by the gods, strong in battle and a leader.
10. Unlike Achilleus, Diomedes is in control of his emotions and defers to his leaders.