Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 217
1. What plan does Agamemnon suggest as the book opens?
2. Who dissuades him and why?
3. What is Nestor’s advice to Agamemnon?
4. What does Agamemnon offer to give Achilleus?
5. Who is sent to bring the message to Achilleus?
6. How are the messengers received?
7. Does Achilleus accept Agamemnon’s offer?
8. Why does Achilleus act as he does?
9. What is the Achaian reaction to Achilleus’ answer?
10. What is Diomedes’ response?
1. Agamemnon suggests that the Achaians escape in their ships and sail home.
2. Diomedes dissuades him, because he trusts that Troy will fall. He also thinks it is too dangerous for the Achaians to flee by sea.
3. Nestor advises Agamemnon to make peace with Achilleus.
4. Agamemnon agrees to return Briseis, along with an oath that he has not touched her, as well as many valuable gifts.
5. Odysseus, Aias, and Phoinix are sent to Achilleus.
6. Achilleus receives the messengers warmly.
7. Achilleus refuses Agamemnon’s offer of reconciliation.
8. Achilleus lets his pride stand in the way of reason. He wants Agamemnon to be completely humbled in front of him before he will consent to fight again with the Achaians.
9. The Achaians are shocked that Achilleus would refuse such a generous offer.
10. Diomedes angrily suggests that it was a mistake to make such a generous offer to such a foolish man.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support