Book 19 Questions and Answers
1. Why does Achilleus reconcile with Agamemnon?
2. What does Agamemnon offer Achilleus?
3. What does Agamemnon want to do after the reconciliation?
4. What does Achilleus want to do?
5. What does Achilleus say he will not do until Hektor is killed?
6. What do the Achaians decide to do next?
7. How does Achilleus obtain strength for the battle?
8. Whom does Achilleus chastise for their role in the death of Patroklos?
9. What is the response?
10. What is said that angers Achilleus?
1. Achilleus reconciles with Agamemnon because he is intent on avenging the death of Patroklos.
2. Agamemnon offers Achilleus all the gifts that he had previously offered.
3. Agamemnon wants to bring out all the gifts for Achilleus and hold a large feast.
4. Achilleus is eager to get to the battle immediately.
5. Achilleus swears he will not eat or drink until Patroklos’ death is avenged.
6. The gifts are brought to Achilleus, and the Achaians hold a feast to strengthen themselves for the battle.
7. Athene gives him strength for the battle.
8. Achilleus reproaches his horses for not bringing Patroklos home alive.
9. One of the horses speaks to Achilleus, stating that it was not their fault that Patroklos died.
10. The horse prophesies the death of Achilleus. Achilleus responds that he is aware of his fate, but determined to avenge the death of Patroklos anyway.