Chapter 9: Questions and Answers
1. What kind of car did Marguerite and Bailey’s father drive?
2. What had been their father’s job?
3. Why did Marguerite not want anyone to see her father?
4. How did Marguerite feel when her father watched her?
5. In later years Marguerite asked Mrs. Henderson, “Do you love me?” How did Mrs. Henderson respond?
6. How did Marguerite feel about leaving with her father?
7. Where did their mother live?
8. What “secret” language did Bailey and Marguerite speak?
9. How did Marguerite’s father treat her, according to Marguerite?
10. How did Bailey react to his mother?
1. Their father drove a DeSoto.
2. He had been a doorman at Santa Monica’s plush Breakers Hotel.
3. Marguerite did not want anyone to see her father because she did not want to be compared to him; she felt she would come short.
4. Marguerite felt afraid when her father watched her.
5. Marguerite’s grandmother said, “God is love. Just worry about whether you’re being a good girl, then He will love you.”
6. Marguerite could not make up her mind. She wanted to go with Bailey, but she wanted stay with her grandmother also.
7. Their mother lived in St. Louis.
8. Marguerite and Bailey spoke Pig Latin.
9. Marguerite felt her father favored Bailey over her. She felt he made fun of her and rejected her.
10. Bailey fell instantly and forever in love.