Chapter 33: Questions and Answers
1. How had the relationship between Marguerite and Bailey changed?
2. In what area were Marguerite and Bailey closer?
3. Why could Marguerite dance better now?
4. Name some of the musicians to whom Marguerite danced.
5. Name some of the dances Marguerite danced.
6. Why did Marguerite become less concerned with her mother’s reputation, community image, and good name?
7. Whose side did Marguerite take in the battle between Bailey and Mother Dear?
8. Who were Mother Dear’s friends?
9. Marguerite says that Bailey and Mother Dear were engaged in a power/love struggle. What event finally led to Bailey’s leaving the house?
10. What job did Bailey secure after leaving the house?
1. Bailey seems indifferent to Marguerite.
2. Marguerite and Bailey are closer in one area: dancing.
3. Marguerite’s new assurance allows her to give herself up to the rhythms.
4. Marguerite dances to Count Basie, Cab Calloway, and Duke Ellington.
5. Marguerite dances the jitterbug, the Lindy, the Big Apple, and the Half Time Texas Hop.
6. Marguerite becomes less concerned with everything.
7. Marguerite is neutral in the battles between Bailey and Mother Dear.
8. Mother Dear’s friends are her heroes and her friends are big men in rackets.
9. Bailey’s coming in late is the event which led to his leaving the house.
10. Bailey, with Mother’s help, secures a job on the Southern Pacific after leaving the house.