Chapter 26: Questions and Answers
Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 263
1. How did Marguerite deal with facing Mother again?
2. Why did Marguerite feel uncomfortable about seeing her mother again?
3. Where did Marguerite sleep in the apartment?
4. Where did Mother go after getting Marguerite and Mrs. Henderson settled into an apartment?
5. What kind of friends did Mrs. Henderson make?
6. What did Mrs. Henderson do after Vivian Baxter made arrangements for the move to San Francisco?
7. How did Bailey, Vivian, and Marguerite get to San Francisco?
8. With whom did Marguerite sleep in Oakland?
9. Why did Vivian get Marguerite up in the middle of the night?
10. What was Vivian’s occupation?
1. Marguerite coped with the change that was to come by not thinking about it.
2. Marguerite felt uncomfortable about seeing her mother again because she felt guilty about what happened with Mr. Freeman; she wondered if his name would be mentioned or if she should say something about the situation.
3. Marguerite slept on a sofa that miraculously changed into a bed at night.
4. Marguerite’s mother went to San Francisco to arrange living accommodations for her enlarged family.
5. Mrs. Henderson made the same kind of friends that she had always made. She made friends with churchgoers who talked of the hereafter.
6. Mrs. Henderson returned to Stamps after Vivian made arrangements for the move to San Francisco.
7. Vivian drove them to San Francisco.
8. Marguerite slept with Grandmother Baxter in Oakland.
9. Vivian got Marguerite up in the middle of the night to have a party for them with hot chocolate and biscuits and dancing by Vivian.
10. Vivian played pinochle for money or ran a poker game.