Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 265
1. What town is the setting for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings?
2. How old was the narrator when she arrived by train?
3. What are the names of the two children in the chapter?
4. Why were they going to Arkansas?
5. What was the name and relation of the woman who would care for them?
6. How did the cotton-pickers described by Marguerite differ from the cotton-pickers depicted in movies and other media?
7. How did Uncle Willie make his living?
8. What was the name of the Store in Chapter 1?
9. Why did the cotton pickers stop by the store in the mornings?
10. What time did the owner of the store rise during picking season?
1. The town of Stamps, Arkansas, is the setting for I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
2. The narrator was three years old when she arrived by train.
3. The two children in the chapter are Marguerite and Bailey Johnson, Jr.
4. The children were going to Arkansas since their parents had separated; they would stay with a relative there.
5. The grandmother who would care for them was Mrs. Annie Henderson.
6. In the media the cotton-pickers were depicted as laughing and singing; Marguerite, on the other hand, had seen their tiredness, their cuts, and their hopelessness.
7. Mrs. Annie Henderson and Uncle Willie ran a general store.
8. The name of the store was Wm. Johnson General Merchandise Store.
9. The cotton-pickers stopped at the store in the morning to pick up food for their lunch and to be picked up to go to the fields.
10. The owner of the Store got up at 4:00 in the morning.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support