Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 168
1. How realistic is the story? Does the fact of unreality help the story?
2. How does the culture of India, as described in the novel, differ from the culture in the United States? How is it the same?
3. What is the role of nature in this story?
4. What might the Kulfi's life before marriage have been like? What might have caused her to become so dreamy and self-absorbed when she was pregnant with Sampath?
5. Sampath comes to be considered a guru to the people who flock to him with questions. Are there any modern gurus? Is this a legitimate way of looking at a person?
6. How does this book deal with the culture of India? Does it take it seriously? Does the book make a political stance with regard to Indian government?
7. How do the events that occur in the novel affect each of the Chawla family members?
8. Is the narrator biased? What are some ways to tell whether the narrator is biased toward a specific point of view?
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support