Part XIII: Beautiful & Cruel, A Smart Cookie, and What Sally Said
1. What has Esperanza decided she will not do?
2. Why does Esperanza begin a “war”? What does she have?
3. How will she fight this war?
4. What kinds of things can Esperanza’s mom do?
5. What can’t she do?
6. What would Esperanza’s mother like to do someday?
7. Why did Esperanza’s mother quit school?
8. What advice does Esperanza’s mother give her?
9. How does Sally explain her bruises at school?
10. Why does Sally’s father beat her?
1. Esperanza has decided she will not be “tame.”
2. Esperanza begins a war because she is not beautiful.
3. She will fight this war by behaving like a man instead of a woman.
4. Esperanza’s mother can speak two languages, sing opera, and fix TVs.
5. Esperanza’s mother can’t take a train by herself into town.
6. Esperanza’s mother would like to go to a play and see a ballet.
7. She quit school because she didn’t have nice clothes, and she was ashamed.
8. Her mother tells her to stay in school and study hard, because shame will keep her down.
9. Sally says her bruises came from falling.
10. Her father beats her because he is afraid she will bring shame on the family.