Part XI: Rafaela Who Drinks Coconut & Papaya Juice on Tuesdays and Sally
1. Why does Rafaela’s husband lock her up on Tuesday nights?
2. Where does Rafaela want to go?
3. What does Rafaela ask the girls to do?
4. What does Rafaela wish for?
5. What does Sally’s father say about her beauty?
6. What does Esperanza want to learn from Sally?
7. What does Esperanza’s mother say about wearing black?
8. Why aren’t Sally and Cheryl friends anymore?
9. What does Sally do before she goes home from school?
10. What do most people seem to think of Sally? What are they waiting for?
1. Rafaela’s husband is afraid she’ll run away while he’s out playing dominoes.
2. Rafaela wants to go to the bar on the corner so she can dance.
3. Rafaela asks the girls to buy her sweet juice from the store.
4. Rafaela wishes for “sweeter drinks.”
5. Sally’s father says that being beautiful is dangerous.
6. Esperanza wants Sally to teach her how to put on make-up and paint her eyes “like Cleopatra.”
7. Esperanza’s mother says wearing black when you’re young is dangerous.
8. Sally and Cheryl got in a fight and Cheryl insulted Sally.
9. Sally takes off her make-up before she goes home.
10. Most people think that because Sally is beautiful, she is bad. They are waiting for her to get into trouble.