Part III: Laughter, Gil’s Furniture Bought & Sold, Meme Ortiz, and Louie, His Cousin & His Other Cousin
1. In what ways are Esperanza and Nenny similar?
2. What kind of store does Gil have?
3. What did Esperanza once buy from Gil?
4. What did Nenny want to buy from Gil?
5. Why couldn’t she buy it?
6. Why does Esperanza say that she and Nenny are stupid for wanting the music box?
7. What is Meme’s real name?
8. Why can’t Marin go out?
9. What kind of car did Louie’s other cousin have?
10. What happened to Louie’s other cousin when he came to Mango Street?
1. Esperanza and Nenny have the same laugh and the same memories of Mexico.
2. Gil has a junk store full of used furniture and trinkets.
3. Esperanza once bought a miniature Statue of Liberty.
4. Nenny wanted to buy the music box.
5. She couldn’t buy it because it wasn’t for sale.
6. Esperanza says they’re stupid because she knows that even if the music box were for sale, they couldn’t afford it.
7. Meme’s real name is Juan.
8. Marin can’t go out because she’s always babysitting Louie’s little sisters.
9. Louie’s other cousin had a yellow Cadillac.
10. The police chased him and arrested him.