Act III Questions and Answers
1. What order does Bernarda give to the stable-hand regarding the breeding stallion?
2. What is Angustius’ engagement ring made out of? What does it symbolize according to Prudencia?
3. Why isn’t Angustias meeting Pepe el Romano that evening?
4. What advice does Bernarda give Angustias concerning Pepe el Romano?
5. Why does Adela get out of bed?
6. What is Maria Josefa carrying? Why?
7. Is Adela ashamed at being caught with Pepe el Romano? Does she care what the neighbors think?
8. Why does Martirio lie to Adela about Pepe el Romano being shot?
9. How does Bernarda react to the death of her daughter?
10. How does Martirio react?
1. She tells him to let the stallion loose and lock up the mares. This is symbolic of the household where women are locked inside while the men are free in the fields.
2. The ring is made of pearls, which symbolize tears according to Prudencia.
3. Pepe el Romaano , saying he was going on a trip.
4. She basically tells her daughter to keep silent and let her future husband do as he wishes.
5. Adela gets out of bed to meet Pepe el Romano in the corral. She tells the maid and Poncia that she is getting water.
6. Maria Josefa is carrying a baby ewe, which can symbolize the infant Jesus, unborn mankind and fertility.
7. Adela is not ashamed of being caught with Pepe el Romano and is prepared to become a kept woman. She does not care what the neighbors think.
8. Martirio lies to make Adela miserable. The lie causes Adela to hang herself.
9. Bernarda attempts to preserve appearances. She stresses the absurd– that Adela died a virgin.
10. Martirio is jealous that Adela “had” Pepe el Romano.