Act II Questions and Answers
1. Why would Magdalena ask whether she should embroider Pepe el Romano’s initials on a sheet?
2. Magdalena is ironic when she states that Pepe el Romano left Angustias’ window “so late.” Why?
3. How do the descriptions of the visits of Pepe el Romano to Angustias’ window and Evaristo to Poncia’s differ?
4. What did Poncia do to her husband?
5. Why doesn’t Adela sleep well?
6. What advice does Poncia give Adela?
7. Who steals the picture of Pepe el Romano? Was the theft a joke?
8. Why doesn’t Bernarda listen to Poncia’s warnings?
9. Who does Pepe el Romano visit between 1 and 4 A.M.?
10. What judgement does Bernarda pass on the unwed mother who has killed her newborn child?
1. Magdalena is alluding to Pepe el Romano’s window visits.
2. Magdalena does not consider 1 A.M. late. She thinks Pepe el Romano is interested in Angustias’ inheritance. There is no passion in his window visit.
3. Pepe el Romano’s visit to Angustias lacks passion. Evaristo wanted to embrace Poncia.
4. She would beat him and killed his birds.
5. Adela is up with Pepe el Romano until 4 A.M.
6. Poncia tells Adela to let Angustias marry Pepe el Romano. According to Poncia, Angustias is bound to die in childbirth. Then Pepe el Romano can marry Adela.
7. Martirio. The theft is not a joke. Martirio is jealous of Adela.
8. Bernarda is in a state of denial about her own slipping authority and her daughters’ transgressions. She refuses to believe the warnings of a mere servant.
10. Bernarda says the woman should be whipped and killed.