Section I Questions and Answers
1. Identify the people on the Nellie.
2. Why is it ironic that Marlow needs his aunt’s help to secure his appointment?
3. What happened to Fresleven, one of the Company’s captains?
4. How are the two women outside the secretary’s office symbolic?
5. Name two unusual procedures at Marlow’s physical exam.
6. How did the Swede die?
7. What is unique about the chief accountant’s appearance?
8. Why was the manager successful at his job?
9. Why does Marlow call some people on the boat “pilgrims”?
10. Why does Marlow need the brickmaker’s help?
1. A narrator, a company director, a lawyer, an accountant, and Marlow are aboard the Nellie.
(The entire section is 219 words.)