Book III, Chapter 6: Questions and Answers
1. Why do Sissy and Rachael, as they walk together in the countryside, avoid mounds of high grass?
2. Why do Sissy and Rachael not wish to look closely at Stephen’s hat?
3. How does Sissy get Rachael to stop screaming?
4. Who holds the watch that tells how long the men have been down the shaft?
5. What can “practiced eyes” tell about the action of the windlass the first time it is brought up?
6. Which of the pitmen is the first to inform the crowd of Stephen’s condition?
7. What has broken Stephen’s fall?
8. Where was Stephen headed to before he fell?
9. What is Stephen’s first utterance after he is delivered from the pit?
10. The litter on which he is being carried seems to Stephen to be moving in what direction?
1. Sissy and Rachael avoid these mounds because of stories that old pits are sometimes hidden under them.
2. The two women fear that the hat may be stained with blood,...
(The entire section is 319 words.)