Book I, Chapters 5-6: Questions and Answers
1. What does Coketown’s river run with?
2. Coketown’s buildings are made of what material?
3. What does Bitzer tell Gradgrind he was about to help Sissy with before she ran away?
4. What is Sissy carrying when she is stopped by Gradgrind and Bounderby?
5. The picture behind the bar in the Pegasus’ Arms is of what animal?
6. Why did Signor Jupe enroll his daughter in Gradgrind’s school?
7. What is a “cackler”?
8. The “Wild Horseman of the North American Prairies” refers to which of Sleary’s performers?
9. Who is “the diminutive boy with an old face”?
10. What does Mr. Sleary declare he has never done yet in his life and doesn’t intend to start?
1. The river in Coketown runs purple with dye.
2. The buildings in Coketown are red and black—red...
(The entire section is 269 words.)