Chapters 31-40: Questions and Answers
1. What bothers Offred about Moira’s recollection that women once were banned from Memorial Hall?
2. Is there any truth to the Commander’s idea that men were turned off by sex in pre-Gilead America because of women’s availability?
3. What does the Commander’s statement “You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs” mean?
4. What is Ofwarren’s/Janine’s role in the novel?
5. Is Offred a wimp, as Moira suggests?
6. How does Offred know that the Commander has taken such an adventure before?
7. What is the significance of the fact that a number of the prostitutes at Jezebel’s were professional women in the days...
(The entire section is 836 words.)