Part IV, Chapters 11-12: Questions and Answers
1. What is the last thing a Houyhnhm says to Gulliver when he departs?
2. What does Gulliver plan to do after leaving the land of the Houyhnhms?
3. Who are the first human beings Gulliver meets after leaving the country of the Houyhnhms?
4. Who are the next human beings Gulliver meets?
5. How does Gulliver react to their offer to take him back to Europe?
6. How does Captain Mendez treat Gulliver?
7. What is Gulliver’s reaction to his rescue?
8. What happens to Gulliver when he returns to his family?
9. What does Gulliver insist in Chapter 12?
10. What does Gulliver say about colonization?
1. The sorrel nag says when Gulliver is leaving, “Take care of yourself, gentle Yahoo.”
2. Gulliver plans to spend the rest of his life contemplating the virtues of the Houyhnhms alone on an island.
3. The first human beings Gulliver meets after leaving the country of the Houyhnhms are savages who wound him with an arrow.
4. The second group of human beings Gulliver meets are Portuguese sailors, who say that their captain will take him back to Europe for free.
5. Gulliver utterly opposes the idea of returning to Europe; he has to be tied up and taken by force to the ship.
6. Captain Mendez treats Gulliver with great kindness and generosity.
7. Gulliver tries to swim away from the ship and has to be chained in his cabin.
8. Gulliver is embraced and kissed by his wife, but faints in disgust.
9. Gulliver insists on his truthfulness and impartiality.
10. Gulliver opposes colonization as pointless, dangerous and also inhumane, at least as practiced by foreigners.