Topics for Discussion
1. Describe how Gilly changes in the course of the novel. Point out passages that reveal substantial changes in her feelings about herself and others.
2. How does Gilly learn from Maime Trotter? What, specifically, does she learn?
3. Gilly tells us that she is quite bright. What evidence is there in the book that she really is intelligent?
4. What does Gilly learn from her short stay in the school at Thompson Park?
5. What role does William Ernest Teague (W.E.) play in the novel?
6. What does Gilly gain by going to live with her grandmother? Can you cite examples of her growth in Jackson, Virginia?