The Great Gatsby Reading CheckDownload PDF
Excerpt From This Document
True/False: Use a + for a true statement and a 0 for a false statement. A statement must be entirely true to be considered a true statement.
- The novel is set in and near New York City in the 1920s.
- Tom and Daisy Buchanan have been married for several years.
- Daisy and Gatsby had been married at one time in the past.
- Wolfsheim supposedly “fixed” the World Series of 1919.
- Nick and Tom are distant cousins.
- Jordan Baker was a lovely but dishonest young woman.
- Myrtle Wilson felt a great deal of guilt about deceiving her husband.
- Gatsby was honest and direct about his past.
- Daisy waited patiently for Gatsby to come home from the war so that they could be together.
- Gatsby lived in East Egg where the old monied families lived.
- Gatsby was cheated out of his inheritance from Dan Cody.
- Gatsby threw large parties, inviting friends and strangers alike.
- Gatsby’s great dream was to amass an even larger fortune.
- Gatsby’s fortune was earned through hard work and careful investment in the stock market.
- Nick Carraway developed an intense dislike for Gatsby as the novel proceeds.
- Tom treats Myrtle with respect for her feelings.
- Nick Carraway and George Wilson are the only characters who go to work each day.
- Tom and Daisy are Gatsby’s neighbors in West Egg.
- Rumors about Gatsby’s past are numerous.
- Nick arranges a reunion between Gatsby and Daisy.
- Jay Gatsby was really Jimmy Gatz from North Dakota, a boy who grew up poor.
- Meyer Wolfsheim is a gangster for whom Gatsby works.
- Tom Buchanan was Nick’s friend in college who went on to earn a fortune.
- Except for his affair with Myrtle Wilson, Tom had been faithful to Daisy.
- After renewing his affair with Daisy, Gatsby suddenly cuts off his friendship with Nick.
- Myrtle Wilson is beautiful and far more intelligent than is Daisy.
- George Wilson treats Tom Buchanan as if Tom is his superior.
- Gatsby first met Daisy in Louisville, Kentucky, while he was in military service during World War I.
- After renewing his love affair with Daisy, Gatsby threw more parties to share with her by his side.
- The Valley of the Ashes is an industrial area between West Egg and New York City.
About this Document
A 30-question true/false reading check quiz over Chapters 1-6; answer key accompanies quiz.