The Great Gatsby Quiz -- Ch. 1-3Download PDF
Excerpt From This Document
- Why did Nick move from the Mid-West to New York?
- How did Nick and Tom know each other?
- How are Nick and Daisy related?
- Identify George Wilson.
- Name two ways the McKees know Myrtle Wilson.
- How does Nick meet Gatsby?
- If Gatsby “represented everything for which [Nick had] an unaffected scorn” (6), why did Nick actually like Gatsby?
- Based on inferences, who called during dinner at the Buchanans’?
- In the phrase “…as if she had asserted her membership in a rather distinguished secret society to which she and Tom belonged” (16), describe the type of “secret society” to which the author, Fitzgerald, is referring.
- “Inside, the crimson room bloomed with light” (16).This quote is an example of: a) allusion b) simile c) metaphor d) personification
- The “eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg” could symbolize:
- Catherine is related to which character in the novel, and how?
- Name one rumor Catherine mentions to Nick at Myrtle’s party.
- Examine the following quotes: “Taking out my handkerchief I wiped from his cheek the remains of the spot of dried lather that had worried me all the afternoon” (30). “…I wanted the world to be in uniform and at a sort of moral attention forever”(6). What do these quotes say about the type of person Nick is?
- Name two rumors about how Gatsby became rich.
- List three examples of items Gatsby owns that represent his wealth.
- Why did Nick attend Gatsby’s party?
- Where do Nick and Jordan first meet Owl Eyes?
- The phrase “…she appeared suddenly at his side like an angry diamond” (45) is an example of what type of figurative language?
- Describe Nick’s feelings about Jordan.
About this Document
I created two different twenty-question quizzes for The Great Gatsby, chapters one through three. Here is version A.