Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 266
1. Who does Pip believe is Estella’s mother? How does he come to this conclusion?
2. How did Mr. Jaggers first meet Molly?
3. What does Miss Havisham agree to do for Pip?
4. How much money will Pip need to complete setting Herbert up in business?
5. When Pip returns to visit Miss Havisham, how has she changed?
6. What three words does she want Pip to write under her name?
7. What happens to Miss Havisham?
8. How is Pip injured?
9. Where is Miss Havisham placed after the fire?
10. Who brought Estella to Miss Havisham?
1. While dining with Mr. Jaggers, Pip recognizes Molly’s hands and eyes to be exactly like Estella’s. Therefore, after hearing Molly’s past, he believes that she is Estella’s mother.
2. Mr. Jaggers was Molly’s lawyer. He got her acquitted from a murder case.
3. Out of remorse, Miss Havisham agrees to help Pip by aiding Herbert in his business.
4. Nine hundred pounds will make Herbert a partner in Clarriker’s business.
5. Miss Havisham has changed in many ways. She appears almost pitiful sitting in her grave-like house. She begs Pip’s forgiveness and realizes that she has destroyed not only her own life, but the lives of Estella and Pip.
6. Miss Havisham wants the words “I forgive her” written under her name.
7. Miss Havisham’s dress catches on fire and she is badly injured.
8. Pip’s hands are burned while trying to save Miss Havisham.
9. Miss Havisham is placed on the long bridal table.
10. Mr. Jaggers brought Estella to Miss Havisham when she was about two or three years of age.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support