Part 1, Chapters 6 and 7 Questions and Answers
1. Why didn’t Pip tell Joe the truth concerning the convict and the theft?
2. What is probably the reason that Joe married Pip’s sister?
3. What does Mr. Wopsle’s great-aunt run in the evenings?
4. Even though Pip attends the evening school, who actually teaches Pip how to read and write?
5. What does Pip find out about Joe’s education?
6. What is the only word that Joe can read?
7. Pip agrees to help Joe learn to read and write. Why must they keep it a secret from Mrs. Joe?
8. What news do Uncle Pumblechook and Mrs. Joe bring home to Pip?
9. What does Miss Havisham ask Pip to come there to do?
10. Who first takes Pip to Miss Havisham’s house?
1. Pip did not tell Joe the truth because he was afraid of losing Joe’s confidence and friendship.
2. Joe probably married Pip’s sister because he felt sympathy for Pip and how he was being treated.
3. Mr. Wopsle’s great-aunt runs an evening school.
4. Biddy is the one who teaches Pip how to read and write.
5. Pip, after writing a crude letter to Joe, realizes that Joe cannot read or write.
6. “JO” is the only word that Joe can read.
7. Joe’s education must be kept a secret from Mrs. Joe because she resents anyone being better than she is.
8. The news is that Pip is to go to Miss Havisham’s house the next morning.
9. Miss Havisham wants Pip to come there and play.
10. Uncle Pumblechook is the one who first takes Pip to Miss Havisham’s house.