Part 1, Chapters 12 and 13 Questions and Answers
1. What does Pip worry about before he returns to Miss Havisham’s?
2. What do Miss Havisham and Pip do every visit?
3. Why does Miss Havisham ask Pip to bring Joe to her house?
4. What does apprenticeship mean?
5. What does Miss Havisham pay Joe for Pip’s apprenticeship?
6. How does Joe embarrass Pip at Miss Havisham’s?
7. Who does Pip confide in?
8. What does Miss Havisham instruct Estella to do?
9. Who takes the credit for Pip’s apprenticeship?
10. How does Pip feel about his apprenticeship to Joe?
1. Pip worries that he will get punished for fighting with the pale young gentleman.
2. Miss Havisham and Pip walk, sometimes as long as three hours.
3. Miss Havisham wants Joe to come to her house because she wants to pay for Pip’s apprenticeship.
4. An apprentice is someone who is bound by law to work for a master in order to learn his trade.
5. Miss Havisham pays Joe 25 guineas.
6. Pip is embarrassed because of the way Joe is dressed and because Joe will not talk directly to Miss Havisham.
7. Pip confides in Biddy.
8. Miss Havisham instructs Estella to “break their hearts and have no mercy.”
9. Uncle Pumblechook takes the credit for Pip’s apprenticeship.
10. Pip is extremely unhappy about his apprenticeship to Joe.