Chapters 7-11 Questions and Answers
1. How did the used car salesmen take advantage of the farmers?
2. What is Ma and Pa Joad’s first concern upon seeing Tom?
3. What is Ma’s second concern about Tom?
4. What makes Ma Joad the core and strength of the family?
5. How does Jim Casy’s behavior liken him to Jesus Christ?
6. Why did the farmers have to sell their tools and possessions for so little?
7. How do Ma and Tom feel about going to California just as the family is about to set off?
8. Why does Jim Casy ask to come along?
9. What does Ma do with the last few of her personal things, and why does she do it?
10. Why does Grampa change his mind about going to California?
1. They knew the farmers needed the cars and asked either high cash prices or high interest rates and sold anything they could get to operate through a variety of tricks, knowing they would not get complaints about the condition of the vehicles.
2. They are worried that Tom has broken out of jail, which would cause a problem for the family.
3. She is worried that jail may have made him “mean mad” like Pretty Boy Floyd and he will behave accordingly.
4. When she shows joy the family is happy. If she shows hurt they are sad. She is healer and arbiter and holds herself calm knowing that if she falters the...
(The entire section is 431 words.)