Topics for Discussion
1. Why does the Grandmother insist on wearing her nicest suit on the road trip with her family?
2. What is the significance of the Misfit's name?
3. What role does faith and religion play in this story?
4. Characterize the grandmother. Do you feel any sense of compassion for her? Why or why not?
5. What is the significance of the Misfit's response to the grandmother just before he kills her?
6. Characterize the Misfit. Do you think that the Misfit presents valid reasons for the violent way he lives his life? Is there ever an excuse for violence?
7. Explain how O'Connor uses her characters to comment on one another. 8. How would you describe the importance of family to each of the characters in the story?
9. What is the relationship between the grandmother and her grandchildren? Does this relationship surprise you?
10. What are some ways in which O'Connor infuses the story with humor?