The Giver eNotes Reading Response Prompts
- Release Date: October 07, 2019
- Subjects: Language Arts and Literature
- Age Levels: Grade 10, Grade 8, and Grade 9
- Pages: 27
- In the early chapters of The Giver, what details does the author reveal about the setting? In particular, which parts of Jonas’s physical surroundings seem much different from the world as you know it?
- Jonas is curious about what exactly happens when a person is “released” from the community. What do you think “release” is? Which details from the story lead you to make this guess?
- Jonas normally follows his community’s rules without question. What circumstances can you imagine that might cause him to change his behavior and break an important rule? In other words, what do you think is more important to Jonas than following the rules?
These eNotes Reading Response Prompts are designed to encourage your students to read more effectively and with more pleasure by giving them interesting subjects to write about after they have read. Many of the prompts will take them directly into the text, while others will give them an opportunity to express their thoughts and feelings and to reflect on their own experiences.
A second purpose of the eNotes Reading Response Prompts is to facilitate instruction in ways that work for you in the classroom. The organization of the prompts makes them easy to use, and the content and construction of the prompts are designed to develop students’ knowledge and academic skills.