"The Gift of the Magi"Download PDF
Excerpt From This Document
“The Gift of the Magi”: Reading Log
As you are reading “The Gift of the Magi” you will be doing what good readers do: you will be having a conversation with the text. As you are reading, stop and answer the following questions in complete sentences.
- pg. 203: If someone had an “imputation of parsimony,” what could you tell about their financial status?
- pg. 204: “The moral reflection (belief) that life is made up of sobs, sniffles, and smiles, with sniffles predominating (if something predominates, you have more of it).” a. Do you agree with this moral reflection? Explain your answer.
- pg. 204: “On went her old brown jacket; on went her old brown hat. With a whirl of skirts and with the brilliant sparkle still in her eyes, she fluttered out the door and down the stars to the street.” a. Where do YOU think Della is going? Give evidence for your opinion
- pg. 206: “Then she heard him step through the door.” What do you think will happen when Jim sees Della?
- How is the ending of this story IRONIC? Explain your answer.
About this Document
A reading log for the short story "The Gift of the Magi."