Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Janie makes use of the New York Times on microfilm to learn more about her abduction at the time it took place ten years earlier. Select a trial or topic currently running on Court TV and locate printed coverage of the crime or event when it originally happened. What information is developed in the original coverage in contrast to what is developed in the court proceedings or television presentation?
2. Read the sequel Whatever Happened to Janie and compare/contrast Janie Johnson in the first novel with Jennie Spring in the second novel. Which character is more likeable and why?
3. Frank Johnson says in the closing pages of The Face on the Milk Carton that "not everything ends happily." How is this prediction accurate for both families in Whatever Happened to Janie? Apply this to specific individuals from each family.
4. Read the final novel in the trilogy, The Voice on the Radio, and demonstrate how Reeve has changed. Does he take responsibility for his actions? Explain in detail.
5. Read Cooney's historical time-travel fantasy Both Sides of Time and compare Annie Lockwood's adventures living in the late 1890s with Janie's.
6. Read either Zilpha Snyder's The Changeling or Eloise McGraw's The Moorchild and comment upon how Ivy or Moql cope and compensate for being different in their respective communities. How do their personality and sense of self compare to Janie's?