Chapters 48-49 Questions and Answers
1. Why does Emma say that Mr. Knightley has tried to improve her and wanted her to do right “as no other creature had at all shared?”
2. Why would Emma be content if Mr. Knightley stayed single?
3. Why does Emma banish Harriet from Hartfield?
4. Why does Emma exclaim “Poor girl!” in referring to Jane Fairfax?
5. What contributed to Jane Fairfax’s burden during her secret engagement?
6. Why does Emma think Mr. Knightley is neither cheerful and not communicative when he returns from London?
7. Why does Mr. Knightley call Frank an “abominable scoundrel?”
8. Why does he refer to him as “a favorite of...
(The entire section is 584 words.)