Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Write a character sketch of April at the beginning of the book and again at the end of the book. How has she changed? What brings about these changes?
2. What role do the adults play in this novel? How are they important to the movement of the action?
3. How does the introduction of the death of a child move the plot along? How does Snyder use it to expand on the theme of prejudice against those who are different?
4. Make a list of all the things you learned about ancient Egypt from this novel. Research one item that interests you most, and write a report as if you were explaining your findings to a member of the Egypt Game group.
5. April has not had a normal childhood up to the beginning of the novel. How is this demonstrated in her relationship with her grandmother, with other adults, with her peers?
6. All the children in the novel except April seem to have good parent/child relationships. Describe each member of the Egypt gang's relationship with his or her parents. How does April's failed relationship with her mother affect her behavior? Caroline is trying to take over the nurturing role. What clues are there that she will be successful?
7. Look at the neighborhood adults' behavior toward the Professor throughout the novel. How does it change by the end? Do you think this is believable? Why or why not?