Topics for Discussion
1. Why do you feel it is necessary to find your place in the world? How do you think people discover their place?
2. Why does Granpa distrust politicians and the government? Why do some people today not agree with the government?
3. What do you think will happen to Little Tree in the future? How can he teach others?
4. How do you feel the Native Americans, such as the Cherokee, feel today in a much more modern world? Why is it important that they maintain their past traditions?
5. How do you think Forrest Carter portrays the Native American? Is he reinforcing a stereotype?
6. What do you learn from Little Tree's view of the world? How is his perspective different? Is it better? Is it worse?
7. Why does Willow John seem sad? What do you think his story is?