Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 232
1. Some characters in "Dragonfield" are called by names other than the ones they were given at birth. For example, the three sisters are called after healing plants, and Tansy even receives a newer name, Areddiana , after the dragon she helped slay. What cultures give people names based on...
(The entire section contains 232 words.)
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this Dragonfield study guide. You'll get access to all of the Dragonfield content, as well as access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts.
- Teaching Guide
1. Some characters in "Dragonfield" are called by names other than the ones they were given at birth. For example, the three sisters are called after healing plants, and Tansy even receives a newer name, Areddiana, after the dragon she helped slay. What cultures give people names based on their association with plants, animals, or other aspects of the natural world? What is the purpose of such names?
2. How does Yolen use irony to heighten suspense in "Dragonfield?"
3. Does Aredd resemble any of Yolen's other dragons? In what ways is he unique? What does he share with Yolen's other dragons?
4. From clues in the story, can you identify where in the world "Dragonfield" takes place? Can you identify the era?
5. How does Lancot contrast with Lancelot of King Arthur's Round Table?
6. Tansy, rosemary, and sage are healing herbs according to Yolen. What do they heal? What is their history in medicine?
7. Aredd is a magnificent dragon. Based on Yolen's descriptions of him, draw or paint a picture of Aredd, showing him in all his fearsome glory.
8. What is the geography for the events in "Dragonfield?" Draw a map showing where all the islands, the river, the marshes, the shore, the homes, and the village are, following as you do the descriptions in "Dragonfield."
9. Write your own story about what would happen if someday another long lost dragon egg were to hatch near Dragonfield.