Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Compare Dracula with its film adaption or with later vampire literature. How are these later works influenced by the novel?
2. Compare Dracula with earlier vampire literature, such as the novella Carmilla by Sheridan LeFanu. Does Stoker seem to have been influenced directly by one or more of these works?
3. Analyze the character of Lucy and her importance in the novel. Look especially at the vampire role as associate of both the good and evil characters.
4. Compare Lucy and Mina, the only two major female characters in the novel. Although they are friends, they are quite different, and Stoker clearly intends his readers to admire Mina more than Lucy.
5. Analyze the characters who make up Van Helsing's band. What does each contribute to the group? Could any one of them alone have defeated Dracula?