Topics for Discussion
1. Don Quixote often argues that things are not always what they may seem. Pick a scene in the novel where this happens and decide what is real and what is apparent.
2. Choose any scene in the novel that makes you laugh. What are the humorous elements in the scene you have chosen?
3. In Part I, chapter 8, Cervantes suddenly breaks off the story in the middle of a fight between Don Quixote and a Basque. Do you find this irritating or thought-provoking? Why?
4. Is Don Quixote a fool or a hero? Is he out of touch with his times?
5. Is Sancho Panza a heartless coward or a clever pragmatist? Why does he stay with Don Quixote?
6. Does Dulcinea really exist?
7. Why does Cervantes make Don Quixote reject his chivalric ideals at the end of the novel?
8. Who has the more attractive personality, Don Quixote or Sancho Panza?
9. Don Quixote and Sancho Panza say that they know of a book written about them. Do you find this believable, or do you think that it is unlikely?