Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Comment on the role that the romances of chivalry play in the book.
2. Charles Dickens, Gustave Flaubert, and Leo Tolstoy regarded Cervantes as the father of the modern novel. Why do you think they considered Don Quixote to be so important?
3. Some critics say that Don Quixote is a humorous burlesque of chivalric romances. Others say that it deals with eternal human problems such as destiny, freedom, and fate. Which of these approaches is most valid in your opinion? Why?
4. What evidence is there to suggest that a conflict exists in modern times between "the world of Don Quixote" and "the world of Sancho Panza"?
5. The renowned American critic, Edmund Wilson, once wrote that he had been bored by everything he ever knew about Spain, that he had made a point of learning no Spanish, and that he never "got through" Don Quixote. Write a letter to Wilson and comment on his statement.