Act I, Part 1: Questions and Answers
1. In what city does Willy Loman live?
2. What surrounds Willy’s house?
3. In what way has Miller used transparent walls to indicate when characters are in the past rather than the present?
4. What is Willy’s job?
5. From where has Willy returned early? Why?
6. Does Willy have confidence in his ability to do his own job?
7. Who has come home to visit Willy and Linda?
8. Whom does Willy criticize and why?
9. Why does Willy stop his criticizing?
10. Who begins to listen to Willy and Linda’s conversation just before Willy goes to the kitchen to make a sandwich?
1. Willy Loman lives in New York City.
2. Recently built apartment buildings surround the house, giving it a small, fragile appearance.
3. When action occurs in the past, characters enter or exit through the walls. When action occurs in the present, they enter and exit through the doors.
4. He is a traveling...
(The entire section is 298 words.)