Questions and Answers: Part 3—The Third Hearing—Chapter 3
1. What did No. 1 say to the American journalist?
2. What does Rubashov want on the third night after his talk with Ivanov?
3. When does Rubashov realize how old he is?
4. What is Rubashov’s demand for Gletkin?
5. Why was the alleged plot to poison No. 1 impossible?
1. No. 1 told the American journalist the American crisis was over and business was back to normal.
2. Rubashov wants a warm female body on the third night after his talk with Ivanov.
3. Rubashov realizes his age just before he tells Gletkin he wants to make a statement.
4. Rubashov demands that Gletkin let him prove his devotion to the Party.
5. The alleged plot to poison No. 1 was impossible because neither Rubashov nor Hare-lip knew Hare-lip’s future job at the time they are accused of making the plot.