Questions and Answers: Part 1—The First Hearing—Chapters 8-9
1. What does Rubashov imagine the officer thinks of him?
2. How is the prisoners’ quadratic alphabet organized?
3. Why does Rubashov tell No. 402 when he last slept with a woman?
4. Where does Rubashov meet Richard?
5. Why does the cab driver decide to give Rubashov a free ride?
1. Rubashov imagines the officer thinks he is an arrogant, self-righteous intellectual who deserves to be executed.
2. The quadratic alphabet is organized as a square of letters containing five rows and five letters in each row.
3. Rubashov tells No. 402 when he last slept with a woman because No. 402 might provide him with a way to communicate with the other prisoners.
4. Rubashov meets Richard in the art museum of a small south German town.
5. The cab driver decides to give Rubashov a free ride because he sympathizes with the Party and he has realized that Rubashov is in the Party.