Last Updated on May 5, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 148
1. What is Rubashov’s former position in the Party?
2. What was Rubashov trying to do as he was arrested by the three Germans?
3. What does Vassilij remember about Rubashov’s service as a Partisan commander?
4. What does Rubashov think makes the first scream from those being tortured the worst one?
5. What is Rubashov’s last request to the prison officer?
1. Rubashov’s former position in the Party was Commissar of the People.
2. Rubashov was trying to put his arm through the sleeve of his dressing-gown as he was arrested by the three Germans.
3. Vassilij remembers how Rubashov uttered beautiful oaths when he was a Partisan commander.
4. According to Rubashov, it is "terror" that makes the first scream of those being tortured the worst one.
5. Rubashov’s last request to the prison officer is to be given some paper and a pencil so he can write.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support