1. Who rows the boat for Dante and Virgil?
2. What is the signal used to send for the oarsman?
3. What does the soul in the mud mean when he asks who is here before his time?
4. Why is the oarsman angry when he sees who has come for a ride?
5. What is the name of the soul in the mud who causes Dante to show anger?
6. What is Dante’s reaction to the pulling and hauling that Filippo Argenti receives?
7. Dante says at one point that his gentle father has left him. To whom is he referring?
8. What is the name of the city at which they arrive?
9. How is Virgil received at the gates of the City of Dis?
10. What does Virgil have to do to gain admittance?
1. Phlegyas rows the boat for Dante and Virgil.
2. The signal that is used to send for the oarsman is two signal lights in the tower.
3. The soul in the mud wants to know who is here in Hell before his death.
4. The oarsman is angry when he sees who has come for a ride because they are not going to be permanent residents of Hell at this time.
5. The soul in the mud is Filippo Argenti, a resident of Florence.
6. Dante thanks and praises God for the pulling and hauling that Filippo Argenti receives from the souls in Hell.
7. Dante is referring to Virgil when he says that his father has left him.
8. The city is named Dis, or the city named after the King of Hell. Dante refers to this king as Satan.
9. Virgil is turned away from the City of Dis.
10. Virgil has to ask for help in order to gain admittance to Dis.