Canto 7 Questions and Answers
1. Who guards the Fourth Circle?
2. What sins have been committed by those in the Fourth Circle?
3. Describe how the squanderers and the hoarders are punished.
4. What is the name of the marsh in the Fourth Circle?
6. How does Dante travel within the Fourth Circle?
7. The Fourth Circle is the last of the circles of Incontinence. What is “incontinence”?
8. What did Virgil and Dante find at the foot of the path and stairs?
9. To whom do nations owe the credit for the amassing great wealth or the blame for not amassing this wealth?
10. Why did Virgil encourage Dante to move more rapidly?
1. Pluto guards the Fourth Circle.
2. The souls in the Fourth Circle are guilty of squandering, hoarding, and wrath.
3. The squanderers and the hoarders are being punished by being forced to push and pull weights with their chests.
4. The name of the marsh is the Styx.
5. The passively wrathful are underneath the mire of the marsh.
6. Dante travels by a path and down stairs.
7. “Incontinence” refers to sins of self-indulgence; these sins imply a lack of will and are sins against the self.
8. Virgil and Dante found a tall tower at the foot of the path and the stairs.
9. Nations should blame or praise Luck for their amassing or not amassing great wealth.
10. Virgil encouraged Dante to move more swiftly since the stars that were there when they began their journey were no longer visible and the High Powers had not authorized a long stay.