Last Updated on June 1, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 222
1. Why does Virgil pull Dante to one side and cry out?
Writing an essay?
Get a custom outline
Our Essay Lab can help you tackle any essay assignment within seconds, whether you’re studying Macbeth or the American Revolution. Try it today!
2. What is a barrator?
3. Why do the barrators remain in the boiling pitch?
4. How does Virgil manage to get by and to help Dante get by the demons?
5. What is the name of the main demon?
6. Describe the appearance of the demons.
7. What caused the earthquake that destroyed the bridge?
8. On what day of the week does the encounter with Belzecue occur?
9. What year did the earthquake occur?
10. What time of day is it as the demons talk with Dante and Virgil?
1. Virgil pulls Dante to one side and cries out because he sees a demon with an alderman in his arms.
2. A barrator is one who makes money through public office; usually undercover deals and secret money-taking is involved in such profit.
3. The barrators remain in the boiling pitch because demons torture them if they emerge.
4. Virgil has Dante hide until he says to come out; Virgil speaks to the demon and explains their presence.
5. The name of the main demon is Belzecue.
6. The demons have wings, high-hunched shoulders, and hideous hooks.
7. The earthquake occurred at the death of Christ.
8. The encounter with Belzecue takes place on Saturday.
9. The earthquake occurred in the year 1266.
10. It is about 10:00 a.m. when the demons talk with Dante and Virgil.