Topics for Discussion
1. Do you think Mina was accepted at ballet camp because she was gifted or because she was African American? Why do you think Mina was dismissed from ballet camp?
2. Mina feels in her second summer at ballet camp that she is being forced to act as if she wants to be white. What are some of the ways in which she acts in this manner?
3. What does Miz Hunter mean when she tells Mina she must learn to look with a long eye?
4. When Tamer and his family come to dinner, why does Tamer insist on dancing when he has not danced for years?
5. Why does Mina say Alice Shipp is like a butterfly?
6. Mina is unusually responsible for a girl of her age. Discuss some of the ways in which she acts responsibly.
7. What are the traits in Tamer Shipp that Mina finds attractive?
8. Mina's mother tells her that "love gives what's best in us to us, I think." What does she mean by this?
9. Why does Tamer want Alice to take the high school equivalency test?
10. When Mrs. Edges tells Mina she is moving Mina to the intermediate class because she has natural grace and coordination in tennis, Mina is surprised. Why does she react this way?
11. Why does Mina want to bring Tamer Shipp and the Tillerman family together?
12. What are some of the reasons Mina and Dicey become good friends?
13. What was Abigail Tillerman's purpose in coming to see Mr. and Mrs. Smiths?
14. When Mina defends Dicey before Mr. Chappelle, she says that she does not do it for Dicey or for Tamer Shipp, but for herself. What does she mean by this?