Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 268
1. Who is Ossenburger?
2. What was the substance of Ossenburger’s speech?
3. Who are Holden’s favorite authors?
4. How does Holden determine whether a book is outstanding?
5. What does Ackley usually do when he comes to visit Holden?
6. What is it about Ackley that Holden finds annoying?
7. Give an example of something which Ackley considered very funny.
8. Why does Ackley not like Stradlater?
9. What does Holden say in defense of Stradlater?
10. What did Stradlater want to borrow from Holden?
1. Ossenburger is the wealthy undertaker for whom a dormitory wing at Pencey Prep was named.
2. Ossenburger said that when he was in trouble he prayed to God. In addition Jesus should be thought of as one’s buddy.
3. Holden’s favorite authors are his brother, D.B., and Ring Lardner.
4. A book is outstanding if, when you are finished reading it, you wish that the author was a good friend, and you could call him on the telephone whenever you felt like it.
5. He usually walks around the room and picks up Holden’s personal things from his desk and chiffonier. What is equally irritating to Holden is that he always puts things back in the wrong places, seemingly on purpose.
6. Holden is annoyed by Ackley’s poor personal hygiene, his lack of respect for the privacy of others, and his overall thoughtlessness.
7. Ackley thought it was funny when the tennis racket hit Holden on the head.
8. Ackley thinks that Stradlater is conceited and has a superior attitude.
9. Holden says that Stradlater is generous in sharing his clothing.
10. Stradlater wanted to borrow Holden’s hound’s-tooth jacket.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support